We got this wonderful idea from @birkbites. These macarons are a fabulous addition to an afternoon tea. The gooey lightness of the macarons combines beautifully with the fresh, zingy Haskapa filling.
Creates 30 Macarons
- 190g icing sugar
- 95g almond flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 egg whites
- 40g granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons Haskapa haskap berry powder
- 375g full fat cream cheese
- 3-4 tsp Haskapa
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2-3 tbs maple syrup
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a large mixing bowl. Sift the icing sugar, almond flour, and salt. Set aside. If using ground almonds rather than almond flour then blitz mixture in a food processor first.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue to whisk until peaks becomes firm.
- Add the vanilla extract and Haskapa.
- Fold in the sifted almond flour mixture and combine gently.
- Line a tray with baking parchment.
- Add the mixture to a piping bag. Create 3-4 cm width macarons (3 cm apart) on the baking tray.
- Leave the macarons to sit for 45-60 mins until dry to touch.
- Preheat over to 150˚C
- Bake macarons for between 15-20 mins until they have risen, and no longer stick to the baking parchment.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk together the cream cheese, Haskapa, sour cream, and maple syrup to make the filling.
- Once the macarons are cool, scoop 1-2 tsp of filling and use to combine pairs of macarons. Add filling to taste.
- Use a sieve to sprinkle macarons with a fine layer of icing sugar (optional).